DH RUNNERS AGM MINUTES
Nov 25th 2017
- The minutes of the 2016 AGM were accepted as a true and accurate record.
- Welcome from Chair and Report
- 5th year as a club and 3rd full year as affiliated with EA
- We currently have 238 members. Increase of 78 members or 48% on this time last year.
First some feedback and apology that appeared in our inbox this week from Rebecca Lynch
Am sorry that I'm not able to make the AGM this weekend - just wanted to share some feedback on my experiences with DH runners.....
I moved back to Carlisle in May 2017 after about 6 years away and joined DH runners in the hope of meeting new people, shedding a few pounds and feeling better about myself.I nervously went along to the Thursday group and was so glad to find people were friendly, welcoming and encouraging.My confidence grew in the Thursday group and I decided to give parkrun a try - was so nice to see lots of friendly DHR faces there.More recently I completed the River Run and have been part of the first You Can Run + cohort.I've loved getting outdoors and exploring different routes with the club, I've lost almost 2 stone, feel LOADS better about myself and have met some really lovely people along the way.I would like to say a massive thank you to everyone involved with the club - you should all be really proud of the impact you have.”
Recap on the year
- Club Championship winners for 2016 were Anni Stumpf and Paul Graves
- Club Captains 2017 - Nicola Jackson & Mark Drummond
- 4 new Run Leaders this year - Helen Cupac, Nicola Jackson, Andy Cavan and Garry English, we also inherited Karen and Matt Taylor but lost Nina Errington as she stepped down to concentrate on other things
- Club Charity for 2017 was Carlisle and Eden MIND - £2,236.10p primarily from 24 hour relay
Notable members fundraising:
Mary Messenger - £3,698.10p for Calm
Steve Claringbold - £1,020 for Kicks Count and £350 for Tommy's (mostly via the virtual run)
Helen MacNaughton - £1,035.31p for Tommy's via fundraising from Great North Half and Cumbrian Run
Brian Hazlewood - £1,140 for Eden Valley Hospice (mostly via fundraising for Lakeland 50)
Amanda Kirtley £711 for disabled athlete Anthony Gott to purchase new wheels for his wheelchair so he can carry on competing.
Santa Dash 2016 raised £6096
Club Charity for 2018 will be announced later
- 24 Hour Relay took place 1st/2nd July 2017, 5k laps of the Cummersdale Loop from 12-12, over 100 people took part. 1st/last lap as group run with over 40 runners in each group run. Mary Messenger took the baton for the first lap and Lindsay Graham carried it for the last. Over £2k raised from this event alone which smashed our original target of £1k. We will be looking to stage it again with the dates to be announced early in the new year. Thank you to the event committee - Andrew Graham, Anni Stumpf, Lindsay Graham, Paul McKnespiey, Steve Claringbold and myself.
- DH River Run 10k - 175 finishers on the day, 220 entered after 22 people dropped out. Took £2640 in entry fees, expenses of £2180.35 saw a profit of £459.65. Thank you to the race committee:- Simon Dolman, Lindsay Graham, Steve Claringbold, Mark Drummond, Michelle MacKay and myself.
- You Can Run + 5 - 10k on Thursday held by Simon Dolman and Mark Drummond, 1st one finished this Thursday with 28 people completing the course.
- Lakesman - Once again the feed station was a huge success and well done to club member Amanda Kirtley for completing it for the second year in a row. Volunteer stand next year and loads of DH entrants included in the half and full distance
- Kit New kit this year came courtesy of Mark Drummond with the introduction of RUN DHR hoody and tees!
- Treasurer’s Report
Year ended 5 April 2017
The club grew significantly in the 2016/17 year:
- Membership income jumped to £3,200 (15/16 £1,100)
- This equated to 160 full memberships (15/16 55) almost tripling on the previous year
- Group subs and You Can Run subscriptions were £1,500 (15/16 £1,330)
- Merchandise sales of £3,700 generated net income of £475 for the year
- Income for the year was around £5,100 (15/16 £3,200)
Main items of expenditure:
- Run leader courses at a cost of £925
- Web-site investment of £915 –the online shop which went live in October 16 streamlining sales of merchandise and payment of membership fees; since launch this has processed just over 600 transactions: 273 memberships, 229 items of merchandise and 100 You Can Runners
Surplus for the year:
- Net surplus for the year was £2,800 leaving a close bank balance of £9,105
We switched banking at the start of this calendar year to HSBC to access internet banking.
Current year to date
This year (2017/18) to date:
- Membership income is up again to £4,720 (16/17 £3,200)
- This equates to 236 full memberships (16/17 160) up nearly 50%
- Group subs and You Can Run subscriptions have dipped £883 (16/17 £1,500)
- Merchandise sales are strong suggesting we will surpass last year’s income
Main items of expenditure:
- Club tent / marquee at £730
- Charity Run medals at £200
- Club 10k race (still being finalised) but this looks to have been profitable in its first year.
Current cash position £12,850.
- Running Group Reports
6 - 8 miles on a Tuesday with on average about 30 people a week. Nothing to worry about transitioning from Thursday to Tuesday for those who want to run further especially now that the You Can Run Plus fills the gap between. It’s not all about the faster runners on a Tuesday all we ask is that you can cover 10k in 75 minutes (12 min mile pace). It’s been great to see new runners attend group and find new friends, especially those who have just moved to Carlisle. They very quickly make friends through the group and end up running together socially outside of group sessions. Anni also added that it was lovely to see non-members attend group sessions as well as those from other groups. It shows that they feel comfortable running with us and we’re not seen as exclusive to just DH Runners members.
Average of 57 runners per group. 74% female, 26% male
Highest attendance was 74 on 13th July
60% members, 40% non-members
13 different routes used
Over 7500 miles run year to date
3 YCR courses (Around 50 people introduced to running)
1 YCR+ course (30 people built up from 5k to 10K)
The group only happens because of the time and effort put in by the run leaders including several new ones this year. It continues to be a group that serves as an intro to running and a social running group. Its something the club should be very proud of.
- London Marathon Club Ballot
The Club has been awarded 1 place in the 2018 race and 11 members entered the draw. Andrea Armstrong won the place. Club Secretary to email entry details.
- Election of Officers
Cross Country Coordinator
Club Championship Coordinator
- Any Other Business
- England Athletics affiliation for 2017/18 will be £14. Club membership will therefore be £35 affiliated and £20 unaffiliated (£25 and £10 for 6 months)
- A raffle was conducted for a member present at the AGM to win a place (and the No1 bib) in the 2018 River Run. Sara Milburn was the winner.
- Michael Holliday expressed an interest in starting introductory runs on trails/fells. This was met with unanimous approval.
- Kathryn Holliday suggested a club day out to Keswick be arranged. A choice of road and fell running with a social met-up afterwards.
- Fylde Coast Runners have offered us a discount for the GNW ½ in February. Interested members are not to enter individually but send their details to Steve Claringbold.
- The club is looking to subsidise transport to races next year.
- Mark Drummond expressed his thanks and appreciation on behalf of the members to the committee for all their work over the past year
There being no other business the meeting was adjourned at 1115.