DH RUNNERS AGM Minutes
10th NOVEMBER 2018 (1049, Morton Manor)
Present: 56 members (22%)
1. Welcome from Chair and Report
- 6th year as a club and 4th full year as affiliated with EA
- We currently have 238 members with 135 being affiliated to EA
Recap on the year
- Club Championship winners for 2017 were Julie Dodd and Kev Scott
- Club Captains – Rosie Holliday and Andy Caven
- 14 new Run Leaders this year – all paid for by the club as the funding from Active Cumbria is no longer available
- Club Charity for 2018 was CALM with £1169.50 on our JustGiving page
- Santa Dash raised £8254 for Jigsaw – combined effort with Carlisle Tri Club and Sports In Action, spearheaded by Lindsay Graham
- 24 Hour Relay took place 4th/5th August 2018, several 5k laps of the Cummersdale Loop from 1200-1200. Over 100 people took part. 1st/last lap as group run. Over £1000 raised from this event alone. We will be looking to stage it again with dates to be announced early in the new year. Thank you to this year’s event committee consisting of Andrew Graham.
- DH River Run 10k – 219 finishers on the day, 250 entry limit with 269 entries after 19 people dropped out. We took £2906 in entry fees, expenses of £2429.53 saw a profit of £476.47. Although we have invested in the necessary signs for the race now (previously we had to borrow them of Sports In Action).
We had some brilliant feedback with 25 people responding to our Mailchimp. One in particular from Lisa Kirk pretty much sums up what we are trying to achieve on the day:
I took part in the river run last Sunday and I just wanted to say a huge thank you and well done to everyone in your club. It was my first experience of a 10K run, so I was quite nervous. The atmosphere was so warm and welcoming and the organisation was really slick – a lot of work has to happen for that to be the case. I hope you have received a lot of messages of thanks/congratulations as it is thoroughly deserved!
Please pass on my thanks to everyone involved!
Thank you to the race committee – Simon Dolman, Lindsay Graham, Mark Drummond, Michelle Mackay, Gordon Beattie and myself.
- Lakesman – Once again the feed station was a huge success and well done to club member Amanda Kirtley for completing it for the third year in a row, Andrew Graham for the second time, Matt Charlton and Caroline Evans for becoming Lakesmen for the first time.
This year saw the first half Lakesman distance event with the club strongly represented in that race also. We will be having the feed station again next year with loads of DH flying the flag in the full and half distance again.
- Kit – Another busy year for kit this year with loads of orders coming in. This year we decided to treat our run leaders to a well earned Hi Viz tee so that they are easily spotted whilst out with our group. We have now arranged for a kit manager to take care of the orders which will be greatly appretiated. And many thanks to Kathryn Holliday who has undertaken this role unofficially for the majority of this year.
- Night of the 5K PBs – This year saw us host our first 5K PBs night, similar format to the magic mile, only instead of the only 4 laps it was 12 ½ laps. Great evening inspired by the Night of the 10000m PBs hosted by Highgate Harriers, only their event is on a much bigger scale.
We are hoping for another next year along with a return to magic mile. Many thanks to Sarah Hamilton for assisting with the organisation of this event.
- Notable racing this year…
The Steve (Claringbold) – Comrades in South Africa
Mike Holliday – UTMB Chamonix in France
Richard Holliday – Bob Graham Round
Curly (Micheal Irving) – Lakeland 100
Mike Holliday, Rosie Holliday (whilst pregnant), Mark Story, Mike Fell, Peter Murray, Stu Windsor, Bev Armstrong, Andy Baker, Kate Hurr, Amanda Kirtley, Nicola Seggie – Lakeland 50
Many thanks to the committee for all their hard work with helping to run the club and steer it in the direction Andrew and I hoped it would when we first set up the club and to all the members just for being amazing!
2. Report from the Treasurer
- The club collected £6,170 of membership fees during the year – adjusting this for fees paid in advance this represented £4,830 for the year from 268 members (215 full memberships and 53 half year).
The previous year figure was £3,200.
- Group run subs and You Can Run subscriptions amounted to £1,421, slighly down on the last yeardue to more runners opting for membership.
- Total fees and subscriptions collected was £6,295.
- Major items of expense in the year were the club tent (£730), trophies and medals (£309), with a surplus generated on the club’s first organised 10K event of £496.
- Administration expenses were £773 with £591 of these relating to club shop selling expenses.
- The surplus for the year was £4,719, the previous year figure was £2,841.
- The year end reserves stood at £11,546 with cash of £16,241 at the bank.
- To date we have collected £4,760 of membership fees this year from 249 members as at 7th November 2018 (227 full and 22 half year).
- The only significant item of expenditure has been the costs for 14 run leaders course participants at £1,680.
- The surplus for the year to date is £3,468 with cash at the bank of £15,135.
3. Election of committee roles
J P Whalen
Cross Country Coordinator
Club Championship Coordinator
4. Announcement of Club Charity 2018/19
… will be Eden Valley Hospice.
Thank you for all the charity nominations and votes!
Hopefully we will have another successful year of fundraising to support this great charity.
5. London Marathon Club Place ballot
- The number of entries given to each club is based on the number of first claim-registered members over the age of 18 who are registered with British Athletics.
- This year we have 135 first claim-registered members to date, which means that we got one entry for the London marathon.
- To take part in our draw, members had to provide their rejection email from the official Virgin Money London Marathon ballot and had to be present at the AGM. This year we have 6 people in the draw – Steve Claringbold, John McGibbon, Mark Drummond, Kevin Scott, Karen Taylor and Fiona Moore.
- The draw was done using a random name picker app. Assisted by an impartial member, Matt Taylor, we picked…
- Lindsay Graham mentions the DH ladies cross country team win from last year and takes the change to make everyone aware of this year’s cross country races and how much fun it is to give it a go and try something new!
- Sarah Hamilton enquires about club fees – Kev Mulvey says fees won’t rise.
- Lindsay Graham comes back to the clubs’ financial surplus and invites our members to send in suggestions on how we could spend/invest money to benefit the members and the club.
- Linsay Graham reminds everyone of our DH Runners Christmas Party and Awards Ceremony on the 15th December 2018 at Walkabout and that ticket are available on EntryCentral.com.
- Matt Charlton says thank you on behalf of the members to the committee for all the work they put in throughout the year – Thank you Matt!
- Simon Dolman speaks for everyone and says thank you to Andy Baker for all his help and input as male rep during the past few years!
Thank you Andy!
(But don’t panic, people! He is not gone completely, we will still see him at club runs and other events!)
Thanks a lot to everyone who attended to the meeting!
There being no other business the meeting was adjoured at 1119.