DH RUNNERS COMMITTEE MEETING MINUTES
April 15th 2017
Present: Kev Mulvey, Paul McKnespiey, Sarah Hamilton, Michelle Mackay, Andy Baker, Steve Claringbold, Anni Stumpf
Apologies: Andrew Graham, Lindsay Graham
The minutes of the previous meeting were accepted as a true record
As the club is in a healthy financial position, the committee are keen to utilise the money to benefit the membership. This will be discussed in more detail at the next meeting and committee members are encouraged to think of ideas. Membership Renewals Membership renewal and new membership online has been a success. There was a glitch with the England Athletics site where approximately 20 people had disappeared so their renewals couldn’t be processed. Sarah Hamilton is actively chasing this. Paper forms are available for those without internet access. Lapsed members will be emailed and reminded that they will not be eligible for the club championship if they don’t renew by May 13th. They will also not receive any further club communication. ACTION: SARAH HAMILTON
Sub Committee Updates
10k Race No update yet. Kev Mulvey will be arranging a meeting within the next few weeks
24Hr Relay Only 14 slots (1 night) left. Estimated leg time has been revised to 30mins. We currently have 21 runners for the first lap and 25 for the last. Money raised stands at £961.64
Beginners Group/YCR January You Can Run
The You Can Run in January had the best retention rate throughout the course to date. The price of £10 for the full six weeks could have contributed to this or the fact that I sent regular emails to the runners throughout the course praising and encouraging them. Nina, Brian and Mark are leading the next You Can Run course starting in May. So far 16 people have signed up. ACTION: LINDSAY GRAHAM to liaise with Sarah re sending out survey monkey to January's attendees. Nina, Brian and Mark to adopt the sending of emails throughout the next you can run course.
The Thursday group continues to be well attended and seems to have a small number of new runners each week. We did receive some negative feedback from some You Can Runners who transitioned to the main group after the last two courses. This feedback was based on the speed of the group being faster than 10min miles and the speed some runners were running the runbacks. We ensure that the reminder at the run brief now includes a reminder that run backs also need to be ran no faster than 10 min miles. We are considering setting up a rota for run leaders to lead the Thursday session, including route planning, run brief and run. We have lots of support from run leaders and volunteers and this is greatly appreciated. The committee discussed the negative feedback surrounding pacing of the Thursday group. This is an issue that arises time and time again and the run leaders have tried lots of different approaches to keep everyone happy. As was pointed out – there is a big gap between a 10min mile and a 15min mile. The possibility of member feedback was raised. ACTION: SARAH HAMILTON to liaise with Lindsay over a possible survey monkey.
There have been no adult or children safeguarding issues raised this quarter.
Mental Health Awareness Week Mental Health Awareness Week is coming up (8th–14th May) and Steve Claringbold was wondering if people might be free to perhaps do some bucket collecting at supermarkets, or bake sales at work or similar? ACTION: SARAH HAMILTON to email membership.
Any Other Business
1)Lakesman Feed Station: After the success of our feed station, Kenyan corner, last year, Lindsay has arranged for us to have the same spot. We need 10-15 volunteers on the station at any one time to support the smooth running of the station. A shout out went out in the April newsletter on Thursday morning and already we have 16 volunteers! ACTION: COMMITTEE MEMBERS to let Lindsay know their availability.
2) Lancaster 5K: A coach trip has been arranged to the first Lancaster 5k series run of 2017 on May 20th. The reason for this was so Thursday night runners could experience a DH bus trip. So far Lindsay has 37 names. The Lancaster 5k series has agreed to let Lindsay bulk buy up to 50 places. ACTION: LINDSAY GRAHAM to collect payment
3)Christmas Party: The Langdale Christmas pudding run is on the 2nd December so in keeping with previous years consideration needs to be given as to whether we need to book the Denton Holme club to ensure it is available. Committee voted unanimously for DH Club ACTION:ANDREW GRAHAM to book DH Club as per previous years.
4)DH Calendar: Lindsay is asking the committee to approve a DH Runners calendar 2018. The idea is that it will be a running version of the calendar girls but mainly men. Lindsay has started collating volunteer models from the club and a list of ideas for each month. If the committee agrees, Lindsay is going to approach Kathryn Holliday and/ or Barry Scott for help to take the photos. The committee discussed the idea, and based on the positive response there has been from the membership, unanimously voted to proceed and bring costs before the committee at the next meetingACTION: STEVE CLARINGBOLD to speak to graphic designers re cost and LINDSAY GRAHAM to start recruiting models and a photographer.
5)Gazebo: MICHELLE MACKAY will obtain quotes for a DH gazebo.
Future Meeting Dates July 15thOct 15th
- How to Join DH Runners
- DH Runners on Strava
- DH Runners Committee 2019/2020
- Minutes from Committee Meetings
- Annual General Meeting Minutes
- Club Charity